Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Language(s)

These days, I find parents only speak English or Mandarin to their children; only few speak their dialect ie. Hokkien, Hakka… etc. I’m one of them too, only speaking English and Mandarin to Sebastian and Sidney.

I remember when I had Sebastian, we plan that I will speak English, hubby speak Mandarin, PIL will teach them Hakka and my mum will speak to them in Hokkien but ended up all speak in Mandarin.


During our time, my mum spoke hokkien to us and I pick up other languages only when we go to school. But children now from young they were taught only English and Mandarin and some Malay (from kakak) / Cantonese, what about others dialect like Hokkien, Hakka, Teo Chew and many more.


What will happen to others dialect few years down the road; will it faded just like that. I do not know, this is entirely my own interpretation of my feelings.. : )

1 comment:

Chinneeq said...

i do really wish qiqi could speak at least her father's family dialect. so sometimes suka-suka me and hubby will speak hokkien to her, hehe...

 

Template Design By:
SkinCorner